Help me, please

Discussion in 'Heterosexuality Discussion Forum' started by confusedteen, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Re: Reply

While I completely agree with the marriage bit (WAY TOO YOUNG!), the second one.. I think you might be a bit.. naive. 16 is the average age kids have sex. In fact, more than half have, by 16.

2. Aineo

Aineo Active Member

Re: Reply

Which is why the incidence of all STD's is on the increase among sexually active teens. Teenagers lack the emotional maturity to make the decision to become sexually active. For one who likes to appeal to science, I find it interesting you choose to ignore that the brain is not fully mature until the early 20's.

3. I was under the impression that the amygdala (that's what you're referring to, right?) wasn't fully developed until (okay, on average) until 18, not the early 20s.

Either way, one's labido gets the better of many people, regardless of age... maturity often doesn't have as much to do with it as one would hope.

But.. umm.. yeah... more sex will cause STDs, that's not news ;)

STDs are up everywhere, though. And it's unprotected sex that causes them (or... not knowing how to use it..), not the sex itself. Many conservative programs are screwing kids over (so to speak) by teaching them only abstinence. That will cause STDs, because, as I always say starting now, there are three certainties in life: Death, taxes, and teenage sex. :)

4. Aineo

Aineo Active Member

The scientific community is split over when a human brain reaches full physiological maturity, opinions range from 17 to as late as 26 with the average being in the mid 20's. Emotional maturity is another issue, however there is no doubt that the vast majority of teens lack the emotional maturity to engage in sexual activity. Your appeal to the libido is begging the question since teens are taught self restraint and this has more to do with their self respect and respect for others than religious ideals.

You also need to educate yourself on STD's since safe sex practices are no guarantee that one will not contract an STD. Oral sex can transmit STD's as can other forms of non-coital sex.

There are only two certainties in life and those two are death and taxes since sexual promiscuity is a decision that not all teens choose to engage in.

5. Didn't know that. Of course, if they're "split", without knowing too much about why, I'd sort of guess that there's such a range that it's not pinpointable... kind of like puberty. The current "normal range" is listed as what, 9-17? Frighteningly enough, nine is far more the norm than is 17 (though I'm not sure 17 was ever really common).

I suppose it depends on what you mean by that. I don't know what end-result you're looking for in sexual activity (meaning, what they get out of it, I suppose... or how they feel afterwards..), so I can't really argue one way or another. You're implying that because of their lack of maturity, Y happens, but I don't know what Y is.

My point was that sex is primal... it's one of (if not the) most basic animalistic instincts. #1: survive. #2: Reproduce. You can't always override it with logic or reason, or "emotional maturity". What it boils down to, I guess, is will power, or motivation, or something.

That's true, oral sex definitely does transfer STDs. For whatever reason, though, a lot of people seem to think it can be transferred through saliva, which while technically true, would never happen, unless perhaps you drank nothing but AIDS infected saliva.

Even more importantly though, is knowing your partner's history and what they (do or don't) have. AIDS doesn't appear out of nowhere... so two sixteen-year-olds with no STDs won't give it to one another :)

Lol... I was just kidding of course, but I was also generalizing, as was the "death and taxes"... taxes don't apply to everyone or everything... including those in non-taxed countries/areas, medieval times, etc. But that's really neither here nor there..

6. Aineo

Aineo Active Member

The one trait that separates man from other animals is the ability to make decisions that override and control animal instinct and sexual procreation is not the most basic human instinct, survival is way ahead of sexual gratification.

The HIV virus is not transmitted in saliva or tears and can only be transmitted via semen, vaginal fluids, blood, and breast milk. HIV is transmitted by the exchange of contaminated fluids, which includes IV drug users, so knowing the sexual history of your partner is immaterial if your partner is also an IV drug user who shares a contaminated needle. However, I was not referring to HIV. Gonorrhea, syphilis, chlamydia, herpes simplex, and a long list of other STD's have become resistant to antibiotics and/or are not curable. Herpes can be transmitted by contact with infected genital fluids and in urine and is incurable. Also the proper use of a condom is a rather complicated process. The CDC recommendation for the proper use of a condom is a 15 step process that few men, women, and teens take the time to observe if they even think about using one; and condoms do break.

7. Seeker

Seeker New Member

Just an aside to the original poster: I think you should understand that you won't go to hell if you end up sleeping with your boyfriend. Fear is an effective tool to keep your morals in check, but when it gets to the point of paralyzing it is detrimental. Not engaging in amoral activities for the right reasons is to be applauded, but if you're only holding back for fear of ending up in the fiery pits of hell and you are indeed as close to God as you say you are, then fear not. God understands you better than anyone here ever will.

That being said, from personal experience I can tell you to wait. The one greatest regret of my entire life is losing the thing I would like nothing more than to give to my wife on our honeymoon.

Society (as previous posters have said) is indeed trivializing intimate relationships because it sells. Unfortunately, this makes it very difficult to be a young person today. Stay strong in your convictions and you will find the right path.

EDIT: Heh, only just realized how hold this post was.

8. OriginOfSin

OriginOfSin New Member

16 isn't very young if you ask me, it's only 2 years off being an adult :/

And who invented the concept of age? i wanna know >.< i hate not being able drink and order at a bar just because i havn't been on the earth long enough. But it doesn't matter, i'm not really bothered about it.

When i say 'drink' i don't mean get smashed out of my head. I mean have a drink.

9. Myceena

Myceena New Member

Love is patient, love is kind. If you don't want to have sex, then he should support you, or dump him.