What is the full Qur'anic name for Jesus?

Archived and locked <i>Read Only</i>
Light
Preacher
Preacher

What is the full Qur'anic name for Jesus?

Postby Light » Sat Nov 29, 2003 04:05 am

In other words, what is the one title of respect given to Jesus in the Qur'an?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sat Nov 29, 2003 04:44 am

Peace Light,

In other words, what is the one title of respect given to Jesus in the Qur'an?

Jesus (peace be upon him) was the Messiah and a mercy for the Children of Israel. He is a mighty messenger of God, and will return at the end of times. His blessed mother is a virtious woman and will be the head of all women in paradise as stated by the Prophet. Allah says in the Quran:

"He spoke in defense of his mother saying: "I am indeed a servant
of Allah (God). He has given me revelation and made me a Prophet
and He has made me blessed wherever I am and He has enjoined on
me prayer and charity as long as I live. He has made me kind
towards my mother. Has not made me arrogant, unblessed. Peace be
on me the day I was born, the day I shall die and the day I shall
be raised alive". "Such was the statement of Jesus son of Mary,
concerning which many (people) doubt".
(Quran 19: 30-34)
This nation will get sick but it will never die and will doze but never sleep so do not lose your hope. You will return your glory.

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sat Nov 29, 2003 04:47 am

What is the title given to Jesus in the Qur'an?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sat Nov 29, 2003 05:01 am

Peace Light,

What is the title given to Jesus in the Qur'an?

Do you mean the Arabic name for Jesus? If so, he is Isa ibn Maryam, meaning Jesus son of Mary!
This nation will get sick but it will never die and will doze but never sleep so do not lose your hope. You will return your glory.

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sat Nov 29, 2003 05:08 am

When the angels appeared to Mary, what name did they give to Jesus?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sat Nov 29, 2003 05:14 am

Peace Light,

When the angels appeared to Mary, what name did they give to Jesus?

No name was given to him as far as I know! The angel said that he was a mercy and a sign to mankind!

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sat Nov 29, 2003 05:31 am

(Surah 3.45) states that he is "Ismuhul Masihu Isabnu Maryam" = "his name shall be the Messiah Jesus, son of Mary".

On eleven occasions in the Qur'an, Jesus is named Al-Masih - "the Messiah".

Explain to me Lady Fatima, what does Al-Masih - "the Messiah" mean in the Qur'an?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sat Nov 29, 2003 05:46 am

Peace Light,

Explain to me Lady Fatima, what does Al-Masih - "the Messiah" mean in the Qur'an?

The Messiah means the annoited one-annointed by God Almighty! It doesn't mean that he's the son of God. :P

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sat Nov 29, 2003 05:50 am

Is this explanation of the title Messiah in the Qur'an?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sat Nov 29, 2003 05:53 am

Peace Light,

It doesn't need to be! The meaning of the word Messiah is clear. It's an arabic word that is clearly understood by all Arabs! The Jews also share the same meaning of the word Messiah!

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sat Nov 29, 2003 06:13 am

[quote]The Jews also share the same meaning of the word Messiah![/b]

Really? How can this be?

The greatest Muslim scholars, such as Zamakhshari and Baidawi admitted that "masaha" was a borrowed word.

So, you accept the original meaning of the word "Messiah", right?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sat Nov 29, 2003 06:21 am

Peace Light,

Really? How can this be?

The Arabs and the Jews are semetic people and their language is very similiar-meaning wise!

The greatest Muslim scholars, such as Zamakhshari and Baidawi .

Baidawi is a great Muslim scholars, is he ? :lol: Sheikh Al-Albani is an example of a great Muslim scholar!

admitted that "masaha" was a borrowed word

Borrowed from where? The word Masih, is an arabic word, my friend!

So, you accept the original meaning of the word "Messiah", right?

Yes, Masih, means one who is annointed!

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sat Nov 29, 2003 06:33 am

Masih is a foreign word, it comes from the Bible, one struggles to find in Arabic any roots for the title which might give some indication of its meaning, look at the Qur'an, no explaination is given as to what "Masih"
actually means.

Can you find for me the meaning of the title "Masih" in arabic before the writing of the Qur'an?

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sat Nov 29, 2003 07:03 am

It is true that its three consonants, mim, sin and hah, are also the root letters of the word masaha meaning "to rub, wipe or stroke", which appears four times in the Qur'an. There is no hint, however, that the title as applied to Jesus carries any meaning remotely connected with this word which appears only as a verb in the Qur'an.

"Masih" only comes into existence in Arabic when the Qur'an is being written, the word therefore meaningless is used by Muhammad and, so, no explaination for the meaning of the "Messiah" is actually found in the Qur'an. You yourself have testified to this fact.

It doesn't need to be!

If you can find the word "Masih" = "Messiah" in arabic before the writing of the Qur'an, the many Muslim scholars around the world I;m sure would appreciate your hep in the matter, the fact is that "Masih" is taken from Jewish and Christian Scriptures, but which otherwise has no meaning when considered solely in the light of its use in the book.

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sat Nov 29, 2003 07:12 am

Also, because no explanation is given for the meaning of the word "Messiah" in the Qur'an, here's a tough question for you, according to the Qur'an which Muslims claimed is written by Allah, why was Jesus "The Anointed one"?

If you can think you can answer the above, here's another one, how can you answer the above question if the Qur'an gives no explanation of the meaning of the word "Messiah"?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sat Nov 29, 2003 01:51 pm

Peace Light,

If you can find the word "Masih" = "Messiah" in arabic before the writing of the Qur'an, the many Muslim scholars around the world I;m sure would appreciate your hep in the matter, the fact is that "Masih" is taken from Jewish and Christian Scriptures, but which otherwise has no meaning when considered solely in the light of its use in the book.

The Arabic word is Masih while the Hebrew equivelant is Messiah! The meaning of the word Masih is clear: it means one who is annoited. It's a simple Arabic term. The Quran is not a dictionary, where it explains the meaning of the words used. The people of that time, and today, understand this word perfectly. I don't think I can simplify it much further than that 8)

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sat Nov 29, 2003 01:55 pm

Peace Light,

Also, because no explanation is given for the meaning of the word "Messiah" in the Qur'an, here's a tough question for you, according to the Qur'an which Muslims claimed is written by Allah, why was Jesus "The Anointed one"?

Here's a great explanation that was written by Ahmed Deedat. It will answer your question:

The word CHRIST is derived from the Hebrew word Messiah, Arabic-Masih. Root word m-a-s-a-h-a, meaning to rub, to massage, to anoint. Priests and kings were anointed when being consecrated to their offices. But in its translated, Grecian form "CHRIST", it seems unique:befitting Jesus only. The Christian has a knack of transmuting baser metals into shining gold. What he is wont to do is to translate names into his own language like "cephas" to Peter, "messiah" to Christ. How does he do that? Very easily MESSIAH in Hebrew means anointed. The Greek word for anointed is "christos". Just lop off the 'os' from christos and you are left with christ. Now change the little 'c' to a capital 'C', and "hey, presto!" he has created a unique (?) name! Christos means ANOINTED, and anointed means APPOINTED in its religious connotation. Jesus (pbuh) was appointed (anointed) at his baptism by John the Baptist, as God's Messenger.Every Prophet of God is so anointed or appointed. The Holy Bible is replete with the "anointed" ones. In the original Hebrew - made a "messiah". Let us keep to the English translation - "anointed." Not only were prophets and priests and kings anointed (christos-ed), but borns, and cherubs and lamp-posts also.

I am the God of Beth-el, where you ANOINTED a pillar.....

Genesis 31:13

If the priest that is ANOINTED do sin....

Leviticus 4:3

And Moses....ANOINTED the tabernacle and all things that was therein...

Leviticus 8:10

...THE LORD SHALL....EXALT THE HORN OF HIS ANOINTED

1 Samuel 2:10

Thus saith the Lord to his ANOINTED to Cyrus....

Isaiah 45:1

Thou art the ANOINTED cherub....

Ezekiel 28:14

There are a hundred more such references in the Holy Bible. Everytime you come across the word ANOINTED in your English Bible, you can take it that that word would be christos in the Greek translations, and if you take the same liberty with the word that the Christians have done, you will have - Christ Cherub, Christ Cyrus, Christ Priest and Christ Pillar, etc.

SOME TITLES EXCLUSIVE

Although, every prophet of God is an ANOINTED one of God - a Messiah, the title "Masih" or "Messiah" or its translation "CHRIST" is exclusively reserved for Jesus, the son of Mary, in both Islam and in Christianity. This is not unusual in religion. There are certain other honorific title which may be applied to more than one prophet, yet being made exclusive to one by usage: like "Rasul-lullah", meaning Messenger of God, which title is applied to both Moses (19:51) and Jesus (61:6) in the Holy Quran. Yet "Rasul-lullah" has become synonymous only with the Prophet of Islam among Muslims.

Every prophet is indeed a FRIEND OF GOD, but its Arabic equivalent "Kha- lil-lullah" is exclusively associated with Father Abraham. This does not mean that the others are not God's friends. "Kalimul-lah" (One who spoke with God) is never used for anyone other than Moses, yet we believe that God spoke with all His Messengers, including Jesus and Muhummed (May the Peace and Blessings of God be upon all His servants). Associating certain titles with certain personages only, does not make them exclusive or unique in any way. We honour all in varying terms.

Peace and Blessings be to the Believers :D

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sat Nov 29, 2003 07:43 pm

Why is Jesus in the Qur'an called "Al-Masih" namely, "The Messiah"?
No one else in the Qur'an is, or accordingly possibly could be, the Messiah. Jesus is not a messiah or one of the messiahs, he is Al-Masih - the Messiah. Also, what is most significant is that the title is applied solely to Jesus in the Qur'an and that its definitive quality is carefully defined by the use of the article - Al-Masih, namely, the Messiah. Indeed the title is never used in the Qur'an without the definite article. This rules out any possibility that the title can be applied to anyone else.

The Qur'an's acknowledgement that Jesus was indeed "The Messiah" comes as a surprise, for it denies that Jesus was anything more than a prophet, whereas the promises of God about the coming Messiah had made it plain that he would be far greater than just a prophet. The Christian confession that Jesus is the Lord and Saviour of all men is thus consistent with the teachings of the former prophets that the coming Messiah would be the supreme man of history, far above all the prophets (2 Samuel 7.12-14).
The Qur'an, on the other hand, declares Maal Masihubnu Maryama illa rasul - "The Messiah, son of Mary, was no more than an apostle" - like the other apostles who had passed away before him (Surah 5.78).

Why, then, does the Qur'an also acknowledge that Jesus was "The Messiah" if it denies that he was anything more than a prophet' It seems hard to avoid the conclusion that the Qur'an is contradicting itself here, especially when it offers no alternative explanation of the title.

In an argument with the Jews, Jesus, having answered all their questions, challenged them to identify the coming Messiah - whose son was he? They responded "the son of David" to which he replied:

How is it then that David, inspired by the Spirit, calls him Lord, saying, ‘The Lord said to my Lord, sit at my right hand till I put your enemies under your feet’? If David thus calls him Lord, how is he his son? Matthew 22.43-45

Explain the above, you said yourself, although I disagree witht the following comment - "The Jews also share the same meaning of the word Messiah!

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:47 pm

Peace Light,

Read this again:

Although, every prophet of God is an ANOINTED one of God - a Messiah, the title "Masih" or "Messiah" or its translation "CHRIST" is exclusively reserved for Jesus, the son of Mary, in both Islam and in Christianity. This is not unusual in religion. There are certain other honorific title which may be applied to more than one prophet, yet being made exclusive to one by usage: like "Rasul-lullah", meaning Messenger of God, which title is applied to both Moses (19:51) and Jesus (61:6) in the Holy Quran. Yet "Rasul-lullah" has become synonymous only with the Prophet of Islam among Muslims.

Every prophet is indeed a FRIEND OF GOD, but its Arabic equivalent "Kha- lil-lullah" is exclusively associated with Father Abraham. This does not mean that the others are not God's friends. "Kalimul-lah" (One who spoke with God) is never used for anyone other than Moses, yet we believe that God spoke with all His Messengers, including Jesus and Muhummed (May the Peace and Blessings of God be upon all His servants). Associating certain titles with certain personages only, does not make them exclusive or unique in any way. We honour all in varying terms.

The word Masih only means "the annointed one" and all the prophets of God were annointed as they were appointed in their role of guiding the people. However, Allah retained this name exculsively for Jesus as he retained the title of "friend of Allah" for Abraham and " one who spoke with Allah" for Moses. Now that doesn't mean that all the Prophets were not annointed, were not friends with Allah or did not speak with Allah, it's just some titles were given to certain prophets. It does not mean one is honoured over the other. Yes, in ranking, Abraham is higher than Jesus in the sight of Allah, but for Muslims, we see them as equals and we love them all the same!

Indeed the title is never used in the Qur'an without the definite article. This rules out any possibility that the title can be applied to anyone else.

This word Masih does not need a definition because it is a word that is understood and was understood by the people of old. It was a common term that the Arabs and Jews alike used! I don't know if I can put it any simplier than that! :-?

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:51 pm

Define the arabic word "al"?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:59 pm

Peace Light,

Define the arabic word "al"?

It means "the". Like "Al-Masih" or "the annointed one"

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:05 pm

Why was the title specifically applied to him - "al" and "the" meaning that he is unique, that there is no one like him.

He wasn't "An anointed one", he was according to you, "The Anointed One".

Why was Jesus so special in the Qur'an?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:18 pm

Peace Light,

Why was the title specifically applied to him - "al" and "the" meaning that he is unique, that there is no one like him.
He wasn't "An anointed one", he was according to you, "The Anointed One".

Because when the word "al" is used infront of the word Masih, a Muslim and an Arab can understand it to mean for Jesus. If the word Masih is used on it's own, it also applies to kings and Queens . Furthermore, the word "al" is also used for the Dajjal ( or anti Christ) - "al-Masihul Dajjal".

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:30 pm

You didn't answer the question,

Jesus's title in the Qur'an is never without the article "al".

Indeed, if Muslims hear "Al-Masih", you think "Jesus", fair enough, but what does it actually mean? - Why is he "The Anointed One"?

Again, what is so special about Jesus in the Qur'an being "The Anointed One" if he just another prophet, why bother identifying him as "The Anointed One", why is he unique?

Why isn't Muhammad "The Anointed One"?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:41 pm

Peace Light,

Jesus's title in the Qur'an is never without the article "al"

Sheesh :-? The "al" seperates the title of Masih being given to any other than Jesus.

Indeed, if Muslims hear "Al-Masih", you think "Jesus", fair enough, but what does it actually mean? - Why is he "The Anointed One"?

Because that was the exclusive title given to Jesus like "friend of God" was given to Abraham. Al-Masih means one who is annointed to the postion of prophethood-but in every day life, Masih can also be used for annointing kings or Queens.

Again, what is so special about Jesus in the Qur'an being "The Anointed One" if he just another prophet, why bother identifying him as "The Anointed One", why is he unique?

All Prophets are annointed with Prophethood by God Almighty. The difference is that Jesus has retained the title-but that doesn't honour him above the other prophets. Allah says that he's only messenger like all the messengers that were sent before him, giving you a hint that this word "as-Masih" doesn't put him above the status of a slave of Allah!

Why isn't Muhammad "The Anointed One"?

Prophet Mohammad was annointed-however-the title was reserved for Jesus. That's all. It's just a title!

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:58 pm

The title Al-Masih was and is exclusive to Jesus, "The Anointed One", he had to be anointed for a reason, "The" means that there is a distinction between Jesus and the prophets.

Al-Masih means one who is annointed to the postion of prophethood
Why weren't the other prophets also given the title "Al-Masih"?
Were the other prophets not also anointed?

Obviously, it's not because of prophethood that Jesus is "The Anointed One" because no other prophet is given the title, so there must be another explanation, yet the Qur'an doesn't contain an explanation for Jesus being "The Anointed One".

Again, what is so special about Jesus?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sun Nov 30, 2003 01:11 am

Peace Light,

The title Al-Masih was and is exclusive to Jesus, "The Anointed One", he had to be anointed for a reason, "The" means that there is a distinction between Jesus and the prophets.

Absloutley not. Jesus is a messenger like all the messengers. There are some title that have been left for certain messenger but that doesn't mean that other prophets do not possess those qualities. Abraham is given the title "friend of Allah" but we read in the Quran that the believers are also the friends of Allah. Like I just said, it's just a title!

Were the other prophets not also anointed?

All prophets were annointed. Prophet Muhammad was annointed by Garbriel when he was told that he was the messenger of Allah and of his mission.

Why weren't the other prophets also given the title "Al-Masih"?

It's like saying why weren't the other prophets given the title " one who spoke with Allah" when we know that other prophets spoke with God including Jesus.

Again, what is so special about Jesus?

Nothing is special about Jesus other than that he was a messenger of God. Don't make him any more than that!

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sun Nov 30, 2003 01:16 am

Was Abraham actually a "friend of Allah" and was Muhammad actually a messenger of Allah? and why?

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sun Nov 30, 2003 01:49 am

Was Jesus a friend of Allah and a messenger of Allah?

Assuming the above is answered "Yes", then Muhammad was also a friend of Allah and Abraham was also a messanger of Allah.

Am I right?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sun Nov 30, 2003 07:18 am

Peace Light,

Was Abraham actually a "friend of Allah" and was Muhammad actually a messenger of Allah?

Yes and Yes

and why?

Because it stated by God Almighty :wink:

Was Jesus a friend of Allah and a messenger of Allah?

Most certaintly he was-may God bless him!

Assuming the above is answered "Yes", then Muhammad was also a friend of Allah and Abraham was also a messanger of Allah.

That's correct! Allah also tells us in the Quran that the Muslims (those who submit to the will of Allah) are friends of Allah:

"Muslims Behold! verily on the friends of Allah there is no fear nor shall they grieve.; Those who believe and (constantly) guard against evil" (10:62-63)

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sun Nov 30, 2003 05:08 pm

You know just as I do why Abraham was a friend of God, yes?

You also know as a Muslim why Muhammad was a messenger, right?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sun Nov 30, 2003 09:38 pm

Peace light,

You know just as I do why Abraham was a friend of God, yes?

No I don't believe I do. Why do you think that Abraham was a friend of God? :-?

You also know as a Muslim why Muhammad was a messenger, right?

He was a messenger and a Prophet ( there's a difference). He was a messenger because he was a given a scripture and was given the command to guide all of mankind, through the Quran and his example ( The Sunnah)

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sun Nov 30, 2003 09:51 pm

You told me that Abraham was a friend of God, obviously there must be a reason for this.

Why according to the Qur'an was Abraham a friend of Allah?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:19 pm

Peace Light,

You told me that Abraham was a friend of God, obviously there must be a reason for this.

Yes that's correct, but you used the word "I" as in referring to yourself, so I wanted to know what was your thoughts on it.

Why according to the Qur'an was Abraham a friend of Allah?

Well for one thing, that is name given to Abraham, and both him and his son were given the honour of building the Kabah. If you read the Quran, he's story is mentioned so many times over, and in our prayer we pray for him and his family. Furthermore, he is the only Prophet that Allah mentions for us to follow his true path ( not that the other prophets weren't on correct paths.) He is one of the ulitme greatest prophets who was blessed with 2 sons who also became prophets. You just need to read his story to understand why.

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:24 pm

But he is genuinely a friend of Allah, right?

If so, being a friend of Allah is not unique, because the other prophets are also considered friends of Allah, right?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:36 pm

Peace Light,

But he is genuinely a friend of Allah, right?

Yes that's right :D

If so, being a friend of Allah is not unique, because the other prophets are also considered friends of Allah, right?

No the title is unique, but you must not compare Abraham with the other Prophets. To us Muslims, we see the Prophest equally, but within them, they have their ranking, with Abraham being the second greatest prophet of all time. Evethough, the believers are considered the friends of Allah, we do not compare with Abraham's friendship with Allah. But yes to answer your question, every prophet is a friend of Allah, but the strengh of that friendship varies according to the prophet.

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:41 pm

Is Abraham a closer friend of Allah than even Muhammad?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:49 pm

Peace Light,

Is Abraham a closer friend of Allah than even Muhammad?

No, eventhough, Abraham is of such high ranking. Prophet Muhammad is the greatest prophet, and thus would be closest to God. He is the leader of all the prophets, and God will give him the great intecession. He will be the first to enter heaven, and will have the highest place in heaven reserved for him only. Numerous are the blessings bestowed upon him. May God bless him and all the prophets. Amen :D

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:02 pm

If Muhammad isn't Allah's closest friend and Abraham is, how can Muhammad be considered greater than Abraham?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:07 pm

Peace Light,

If Muhammad isn't Allah's closest friend and Abraham is, how can Muhammad be considered greater than Abraham?

Does the Quran say Abraham is the "closest" friend of Allah. It says that he is a friend of Allah. It's just that the strength of the friendship is dependent on how great the prophet was. So Mohammed is the closest friend of Allah because he is the greatest prophet!

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Mon Dec 01, 2003 03:25 am

So then, would I be right in saying that Abraham's title "friend of God" is not unique after all considering that Muhammad is closest to Allah?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Mon Dec 01, 2003 04:18 am

Peace Light,

So then, would I be right in saying that Abraham's title "friend of God" is not unique after all considering that Muhammad is closest to Allah?

No Abraham being the friend of Allah is not only unique to him, but the title was given to him. Ofcourse that doesn't mean that he's the only friend of Allah, however, he's closer to God in friendship than most of the prophets!

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Mon Dec 01, 2003 04:20 am

But it was given to him for a reason, was it not?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Mon Dec 01, 2003 06:16 am

Peace Light,

But it was given to him for a reason, was it not?

Allah does everything for a reason. Do I know the reason? No, I don't! Just like I don't know why God gave Moses the title of the "one who spoke with God" eventhough other prophets spoke with God. And Allah knows best!

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Mon Dec 01, 2003 06:20 am

Do I know the reason? No, I don't!

Well, you should know because it's in the Qur'an.

Why therefore is Abraham given the title "friend of God"?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Mon Dec 01, 2003 06:30 am

Peace Light,

Well, you should know because it's in the Qur'an.

I'm not a scholar of the Quran. I don't profess to know everything. That is the title given to Abraham, and to Moses and so on...As a Muslim, when I don't know how to answer a religious question, it is best if I just say "Allah knows best".

Why therefore is Abraham given the title "friend of God"?

Allah knows best :P

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Mon Dec 01, 2003 06:34 am

Will you accept the below as a fitting reason as to why Abraham was given the title "Friend Of God"

"James 2.23 - Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness"; and he was called the friend of God."

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Mon Dec 01, 2003 02:02 pm

Peace Light,

Will you accept the below as a fitting reason as to why Abraham was given the title "Friend Of God"

Light, that verse you mentioned could fit all the Prophets of God. All the Prophets were righteous. Would you not agree? :-?

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Mon Dec 01, 2003 07:58 pm

Indeed (In the Bible), however I asked you for a reason as to why Abraham in the Qur'an was given the title "Friend Of God".

You said
Do I know the reason? No, I don't!

The law did not exist at that time. Abraham had righteousness reckoned to him, not because of any deeds done by him in righteousness, but because his complete faith and trust in God. Because of his unswerving loyalty, God took him as his friend, implying that he was prepared to confide intimately in him. Abraham's willingness to trust God made God willing to trust him as well and it was on this basis of mutual confidence that the relationship of friendship was built.

John 15:15 - "No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you."

Do you agree with what Jesus said above?

Would you agree with me that Abraham became God's friend because of his complete faith and trust in God?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:48 am

Peace Light,

Would you agree with me that Abraham became God's friend because of his complete faith and trust in God?

Like I said, this is could be applied to all Prophets and even pious men.

Do you agree with what Jesus said above?

So does it mean that Christians know of God's business? :-?

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:55 am

So there's nothing special about Abraham's title, right?

God's business?

In what sense?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Tue Dec 02, 2003 01:01 am

Peace Light,

So there's nothing special about Abraham's title, right?

Have you been reading what I've been writing Light? I have already stated many times over that Abraham was given this title by God, but that doesn't mean that the other Prophet's were not friend's of God. Why he was chosen for this title, and for example not Mohammad, is up to God Almighty. You tried to give a reason, but your argument could be applied to all the prophets.

In what sense?

Can you please explain what the verse means then? :-?

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Tue Dec 02, 2003 01:27 am

You tried to give a reason, but your argument could be applied to all the prophets.

It was brief but if you want to see why God considered Abraham a friend, read Genesis. Remember however that it is not considered a title in the Bible, God simply calls him his friend.

"Didst thou not, 0 our God, drive out the inhabitants of this land before thy people Israel, and give it for ever to the descendants of Abraham thy friend?" 2 Chronicles 20.7

"You, Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, the offspring of Abraham, my friend". Isaiah 41.8

Can you please explain what the verse means then?

God's desire is that the servant (Slave) status be changed to one of being a friend of God.

A friend of God is one who goes on to maturity, a Christian is not to remain a child in their understanding of scripture, nor in their relationship to God. Moses was God's friend and Moses knew God's ways because he was God's friend. Israel only knew God's acts. The friend is then given a deeper understanding of what God is doing. It's a case of maturity, the maturing is a life-long adventure.

We read in Colossians 2:3. "All the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are found in Jesus Christ". John 1:4 tells us that "In Him was life, and the life was the light of men."

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Tue Dec 02, 2003 02:05 am

Peace Light,

It was brief but if you want to see why God considered Abraham a friend, read Genesis. Remember however that it is not considered a title in the Bible, God simply calls him his friend.

So I guess, my answer should remain as "Allah knows best!". I was wondering, are the other Prophets also considered God's friend, and if so, does the Bible say this?

God's desire is that the servant (Slave) status be changed to one of being a friend of God.

Well in Islam, the believers are also considered the friends of God, but we are still the servents of God, which is considered an honour! :D

The friend is then given a deeper understanding of what God is doing.

To what extent are you aware of "what God is doing"?

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Tue Dec 02, 2003 04:15 am

So I guess, my answer should remain as "Allah knows best!".

No,
Rev 3:20 - Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.

Well in Islam, the believers are also considered the friends of God, but we are still the servents of God, which is considered an honour!

John 8:34-36 - "Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

To what extent are you aware of "what God is doing"?

It's hard to explain, hmm,

Imagine you are lost in a big city, you're in the city because you want to pay your Grandfather a visit but the house you were looking for doesn't seem to exist, your mother and father offered you specific information but the idea of looking cool in front of your friends was to hard to resist, instead you settled for unspecific information, thinking that you'd find the house eventually. Alas, all has turned upside down, it's dark, cold and wet, the people in the city are busy and unhelpful, you're tired but you have nowhere to rest your head, then suddenly out of nowhere your uncle appears and states that he will indeed guide you, at this point, you're heart is pounding, you know that you will meet your Grandfather providing you follow your Uncle, you have no doubt in your mind, the feeling is akin to smooth sailing on calm seas and when you meet your Grandfather, you are even more appreciative.

It's knowing that you are on the right path and that you have someone to follow, someone who will never let you down.

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Tue Dec 02, 2003 01:46 pm

Peace Light,

No,

No? Are you telling me that you know all of the answers, and what on earth is that verse from Revelation ment to mean?

John 8:34-36 - "Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

We are not slaves to sin, we are slaves to God Almighty. That's where the honour lies!

Imagine you are lost in a big city, you're in the city because you want to pay your Grandfather a visit but the house you were looking for doesn't seem to exist, your mother and father offered you specific information but the idea of looking cool in front of your friends was to hard to resist, instead you settled for unspecific information, thinking that you'd find the house eventually. Alas, all has turned upside down, it's dark, cold and wet, the people in the city are busy and unhelpful, you're tired but you have nowhere to rest your head, then suddenly out of nowhere your uncle appears and states that he will indeed guide you, at this point, you're heart is pounding, you know that you will meet your Grandfather providing you follow your Uncle, you have no doubt in your mind, the feeling is akin to smooth sailing on calm seas and when you meet your Grandfather, you are even more appreciative.

It's knowing that you are on the right path and that you have someone to follow, someone who will never let you down.

This is not what I was referring to! Never the less, it's was a nice example, however that could also be applied to Islam. with the Uncle being the teachings of Islam which will lead you to the Grandfather who is meant to be God. Follow Islam, and strive in the way of God and you will find your reward most definately, as is promised by God Almighty!

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Tue Dec 02, 2003 08:04 pm

Jesus receives the title Messiah (Christ) eleven times in the Qur'an, Messiah, Jesus being the Messiah means that he is also King.

Luke 1:32-33 -"The Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there will be no end"

John 18:33-37 - Pilate asked Jesus: "'Are you the King of the Jews?' Jesus answered, 'Do you say this of your own accord, or did others say it to you about me?'" Then he explained: "'My kingship is not of this world; if my kingship were of this world, my servants would fight, that I might not be handed over to the Jews; but my kingship is not from this world.' Pilate said to him, 'So you are a king?' Jesus answered, 'You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears my voice"

In biblical tradition, as seen above, Jesus is the King forever, he is Christ and Lord.

This is confirmed by David, my name,

Ps 110:1 - The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Jesus says
Mark 12:35-37 - "How is it that the scribes say that the Christ is the Son of David? 12:36 "For David himself said by the Holy Spirit:'The Lord said to my Lord, "Sit at My right hand, Till I make Your enemies Your footstool." ' 12:37 "Therefore David himself calls Him 'Lord'; how is He then his Son?" And the common people heard Him gladly.

Lady Fatima - In the Qur'an, why is Jesus "The King"?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Wed Dec 03, 2003 06:04 am

Peace Light,

Lady Fatima - In the Qur'an, why is Jesus "The King"?

Where have you read in the Quran where Jesus is referred to as " the King"? He is the Messiah. The Messiah does not mean king, but only "one who was annointed". The word king in Arabic is malik, which is not applied to Jesus. Furthermore, when you say "the King", it is only referred to God, and no-one else!

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Wed Dec 03, 2003 06:28 am

The Messiah is the King.

You don't even know why Jesus is the Messiah, there's no explanation given in the Qur'an.

The explanation is in the Bible -

An example

Jesus answers

Mark 12:35-37
"How is it that the scribes say that the Christ is the Son of David? - "For David himself said by the Holy Spirit:'The Lord said to my Lord, "Sit at My right hand, Till I make Your enemies Your footstool." ' - "Therefore David himself calls Him 'Lord'; how is He then his Son?" And the common people heard Him gladly.

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Wed Dec 03, 2003 06:41 am

Peace Light,
You don't even know why Jesus is the Messiah, there's no explanation given in the Qur'an.

As a Muslim, I do not need to know why Jesus was given the title of the Messiah. Allah tells us in the Quran that Jesus was only a messenger, like all the messengers sent before him. That should give you a hint, that the title Messiah does not mean anything else then being annointed. Why God gave him that title, lies with Him. Just like why Moses was given the title "the one who spoke with God". The knowledge lies with God Almighty!

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Wed Dec 03, 2003 06:58 am

Hmmm, I'm knocking but you won't answer.

Why was Jesus's birth a virgin birth?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:05 am

Peace Light,

Why was Jesus's birth a virgin birth?

As a sign! Furthermore, the virgin birth does not indicate that Jesus is "the begotten son of God". Allah tells us in the Quran that all He said was "Be" and Jesus was. Just like Adam, who had no father or mother. Was he a greater God than Jesus? :-?

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:07 am

Jesus was sinless, why?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:08 am

Peace Light,

Jesus was sinless, why?

And so where the other Prophets :P

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:12 am

Really?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:14 am

Peace Light,

Really?

According to Islam :D

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:23 am

Even though Muhammad had someone killed, he is sinless, yes?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:26 am

Peace Light,

Killing in itself is not a sin. The sin is when you kill someone unjustly. For example, if someone killed my mother intentionally and conciously, then I have the right to have them killed and there would be no sin on me!

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:33 am

Hmmm,

"Thou shalt not kill"

How do you reconcile the above with what you have just said?

Omega

Postby Omega » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:37 am

Lady Fatima wrote:Peace Light,

Killing in itself is not a sin. The sin is when you kill someone unjustly. For example, if someone killed my mother intentionally and conciously, then I have the right to have them killed and there would be no sin on me!

It is written:Exodus 20:13 - Thou shalt not kill.
Translation-Thou shalt not murder!

If someone killed your mother then you have the right to kill them?
What your doing is repaying evil for evil, and sin wil remain in YOU!!!

If someone tries to kill you unjustly and you defend yourself and that person ends up dying then that is not murder!

Your just justifying murder!

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:45 am

Peace Omega,

If someone killed your mother then you have the right to kill them? What your doing is repaying evil for evil, and sin wil remain in YOU!!!

I don't think so. The day that someone murders your family member, and you see that killer wondering around society, then you tell me then it is murder. It is called justice. We are told in the Quran it is better to forgive such an individual, but some people can't. It is completely permissible to kill a murder!

If someone tries to kill you unjustly and you defend yourself and that person ends up dying then that is not murder!

Well technically, you did kill that person Omega. What happened to "thou shall not kill" ! :-?

Omega

Postby Omega » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:47 am

Hello Ladyfatima!

Well technically, you did kill that person Omega. What happened to "thou shall not kill"

Thou shalt not MURDER!

There is a huge difference, that is what the Bible refers to.

God Bless!

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:49 am

"Thou shalt not kill"

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:53 am

Peace Omega,

Thou shalt not MURDER!

Killing is killing, whether it is done unjustly or justly. The difference is, the former is with sin and the latter is without sin :P

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:57 am

"Thou shalt not kill"

Omega

Postby Omega » Wed Dec 03, 2003 08:01 am

Lady Fatima wrote:Peace Omega,

Thou shalt not MURDER!

Killing is killing, whether it is done unjustly or justly. The difference is, the former is with sin and the latter is without sin :P

What you just said is contradictory :The difference is, the former is with sin and the latter is without sin, to you there is no difference. Is the former or the latter still killing or not?

In Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill!

As I said, if you understood me the correct translation is Thou shalt murder.

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Wed Dec 03, 2003 08:01 am

Light :lol: I saw your post, there was no need to repeat it so many times over.

Killing is permissable in some cases, and it must be done justly. "Thou shall not Kill" is not possible. Refer to my post to Omega

Omega

Postby Omega » Wed Dec 03, 2003 08:05 am

What is this an Abbot and Costello routine, you don't seem to get my point over and over again, you constantly try to justify murder.

You are only repaying evil for evil, get it?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Wed Dec 03, 2003 01:40 pm

Peace Omega,

What is this an Abbot and Costello routine, you don't seem to get my point over and over again, you constantly try to justify murder.

The word murder means:

“The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with
premeditated malice.”

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=murder

By that definition, to kill a murder cannot be defined as a murderous action. Why? Simply because the decision could not be deemed “unlawful”. And how could it be? Why should a killer be living while that innocent victim can no longer live and be among the society. That murderous coward should have the same fate. It’s only justice!

Alpha
Moderators
Moderators

Postby Alpha » Wed Dec 03, 2003 02:00 pm

Lady Fatima wrote:By that definition, to kill a murder cannot be defined as a murderous action. Why? Simply because the decision could not be deemed “unlawful”. And how could it be? Why should a killer be living while that innocent victim can no longer live and be among the society. That murderous coward should have the same fate. It’s only justice!

If this is what the Qu'ran teaches, then so be it. But this is not what Jesus taught.Jesus said to "turn the other cheek." And (a modern day usage) if someone steals your shoes "give them your coat also." For His Kingdom is not of this world, but the world to come.

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Wed Dec 03, 2003 03:42 pm

Peace Alpha,

If this is what the Qu'ran teaches, then so be it. But this is not what Jesus taught.Jesus said to "turn the other cheek." And (a modern day usage) if someone steals your shoes "give them your coat also." For His Kingdom is not of this world, but the world to come.

So I guess what you're saying is, Jesus taught you to be foolish and not defend yourself because the kingdom is for the next world :-?

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:41 pm

Lady Fatima, you've been trying to duck what all this means.

Muhammad sinned.

Jesus taught us to love one another and to forgive one another.

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:53 pm

Peace Light,

Muhammad sinned.

According to who? The Bible? Did you forget that I'm not a Christian who doesn't believe the Bible to the word of God. So tell me, what is the use in telling a Muslim that Muhammad sinned because the Bible says so. It's unreasonable! :P

Jesus taught us to love one another and to forgive one another.

Let me rephrase that. Jesus taught you to be sitting ducks while your enemy destroys you? :roll:

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:13 am

Do you accept "The Ten Commandments"?

This is what "Islam 101" says (excerpt)

It is understood by all Christians and Jews that these commandments were given to Prophet Moses (peace be on him) when he went to see God, the Almighty. The Quran, Islam's Holy Book, talks about the tablets given to Prophet Moses by the Almighty God:

007.144 (God) said: "O Moses! I have chosen thee above (other) men, by the mission I (have given thee) and the words I (have spoken to thee): take then the (revelation) which I give thee, and be of those who give thanks." 007.145 And We ordained laws for him in the tablets in all matters, both commanding and explaining all things, (and said): "Take and hold these with firmness, and enjoin thy people to hold fast by the best in the precepts: soon shall I show you the homes of the wicked,- (How they lie desolate)." (The Holy Quran)

However, the Holy Quran does not explicitly speak about the Ten Commandments given to Moses. There is no record of the original words of those tablets.

3. Who really follows these Commandments?

Our answer may surprise you!

Judaism, Christianity and Islam have full agreement over most of the commandments which deal with murder, stealing, false witness, honoring parents and love for the neighbors.

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:57 am

Peace Light,

Unjustly! :roll:

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Thu Dec 04, 2003 01:04 am

The commandment doesn't differenciate between whether or not a killing is justified or unjustified.

It specifically says "Thou shall not Kill".

Do you accept the "Thou shall not Kill" commandment?

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Thu Dec 04, 2003 01:08 am

Peace Light,

It specifically says "Thou shall not Kill".

And...? :roll:

Do you accept the "Thou shall not Kill" commandment?

Yes but there are certain conditions. You don't like my answer? Then tough, because it's the only one you'll get :P

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Thu Dec 04, 2003 01:12 am

Yes but there are certain conditions.

Where in the "Thou shall not kill" commandment does it mention certain conditions?

Omega

Postby Omega » Thu Dec 04, 2003 01:13 am

Luke 6:37 - Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven.

It is also written:Mark 11:25,26 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses. But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Thu Dec 04, 2003 01:17 am

Peace Light,

Where in the "Thou shall not kill" commandment does it mention certain conditions?

Never said it did. There are certain condition in Islam. Therefore, you cannot judge Muhammad as a sinner because he's actions are permissible in Islam.

A quick question. As Omega as mentioned, how about if you kill a person in self defence, would that be considered a sin?

Omega

Postby Omega » Thu Dec 04, 2003 01:30 am

No! because there is no option in defending yourself!
How are going to decide to forgive the person during his mortal attack towards you and his/her intent to kill you!

But when you have the choice to opt to whether or not to take revenge afterwards in your situation in which you had explained in earlier responses then it is sin!!!!!!!

You have the ability to forgive in your case, you are not defending yourself you are taking revenge!!!

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Thu Dec 04, 2003 01:31 am

The Holy Quran does not explicitly speak about the Ten Commandments given to Moses. There is no record of the original words of those tablets.
From Islam 101

Islam accepts the "Thou shall not Kill" commandment.

There are certain condition in Islam. Therefore, you cannot judge Muhammad as a sinner because he's actions are permissible in Islam.

How can you accept the "Ten Commandments" in the Bible and yet add certain conditions to them in Islam at the same time?

Also, show me the certain conditions.

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Thu Dec 04, 2003 01:41 am

Peace Light,

From Islam 101

Quote me Quran and hadith, not Islam 101.

How can you accept the "Ten Commandments" in the Bible and yet add certain conditions to them in Islam at the same time?

We accept that a person is not permitted in killing another individual without a just cause. Whatever Christianity says, is no concern of mine.

By the way, why don't you answer my question?

Also, show me the certain conditions.

Treason, adultery, an eye for an eye, a high way robber, when in a war. I think that's about it. I don't believe there are any more! But ofcourse these all come with strict guidelines! :D

Omega

Postby Omega » Thu Dec 04, 2003 01:53 am

Maybe you should join devilsadvocate! he and you might get along quite well! You both worship the same god!

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Thu Dec 04, 2003 01:57 am

Maybe you should join devilsadvocate! he and you might get along quite well! You both worship the same god!

Ouch :lol:

Light
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Light » Thu Dec 04, 2003 01:58 am

Treason, adultery, an eye for an eye, a high way robber, when in a war. I think that's about it. I don't believe there are any more! But of course these all come with strict guidelines!

It's a fact that Muslims accept "The Commandments", they are not mentioned in the Qur'an but you still accept them.

You can't accept them as authentic and then reject them at the same time.
In regard to the first quote above, quote for me the verses and explain to me how you can attach them to the "Thou shall not kill" commandment which along with the other commandments, is not mentioned in the Qur'an but you accept the commandments which come from the Bible, the source.

By the way, why don't you answer my question?

You were conversing with Omega in regard to the "Kill, Murder" translation issue, however I will answer, but first, explain to me the circumstance.

Lady Fatima
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Lady Fatima » Thu Dec 04, 2003 02:20 am

Peace Light,

It's a fact that Muslims accept "The Commandments", they are not mentioned in the Qur'an but you still accept them

They are mentioned in the Quran. It seems you obviously you haven't read the Quran. Here are the ten:

Thou shall not take any god except one God

"There is no other god beside GOD,"(47:19)

Thou shall make no image of God.

"There is nothing that equals (like) Him". (42:11)

"My Lord, make this a peaceful land, and protect me and my children from worshiping idols. (14:35)

Thou shall not use God's name in vain.

"Do not subject GOD's name to your casual swearing, that you may appear righteous, pious, or to attain credibility among the people." (2:224)

Thou shall honor thy mother and father.
". ....and your parents shall be honored. As long as one or both of them live, you shall never say to them, "Uff" (the slightest gesture of annoyance), nor shall you shout at them; you shall treat them amicably."(17:23)

Thou shall not steal.

"The thief, male or female, you shall mark their hands as a punishment for their crime, and to serve as an example from GOD. GOD is Almighty, Most Wise." (5:38 - 39)

Thou shall not lie or give false testimony.

"O you who believe, you shall be absolutely equitable, and observe GOD, when you serve as witnesses, even against yourselves, or your parents, or your relatives. Whether the accused is rich or poor, GOD takes care of both. Therefore, do not be biased by your personal wishes. If you deviate or disregard (this commandment), then GOD is fully Cognizant of everything you do."[4:135]

Thou shall not kill.

"You shall not kill any person - for God has made life sacred - except in the course of justice. If one is killed unjustly, then we give his heir authority to enforce justice. Thus, he shall not exceed the limits in avenging the murder, he will be helped."(17:33)

Thou shall not commit adultery.

"You shall not commit adultery; it is a gross sin, and an evil behavior"(17:32)

Thou shall not covet thy neighborswife or possessions.

"You shall regard the parents, the relatives, the orphans, the poor, the related neighbor, the unrelated neighbor, the close associate, the traveling alien, and your servants." (4:36)

"And do not covet what we bestowed upon any other people. Such are temporary ornaments of this life, whereby we put them to the test. What your Lord provides for you is far
better, and everlasting."[20:131]

Thou shall keep the Sabbath holy.

*the Sabbath was relinquished with the revelation of the Quran. We are told in the Quran that the Sabbath was only decreed for the Jews. (16:124) God, however ,ordered us to make every effort and drop all businesses to attend the congregational (Friday)prayer. The Submitters may tend to their business during the rest of the day.

"O you who believe, when the Congregational Prayer (Salat
Al-Jumu`ah) is announced on Friday, you shall hasten to the commemoration of GOD, and drop all business. . "(62:9)

In regard to the first quote above, quote for me the verses and explain to me how you can attach them to the "Thou shall not kill" commandment which along with the other commandments, is not mentioned in the Qur'an but you accept the commandments which come from the Bible, the source.

The commandments given to Moses (except keeping of the Sabbath) are in the Quran. We do not need the Bible!

You were conversing with Omega in regard to the "Kill, Murder" translation issue, however I will answer, but first, explain to me the circumstance.

Since you said that there are no conditions in which a person can kill, what about if you kill another human being while defending yourself?

Omega

Postby Omega » Thu Dec 04, 2003 02:22 am

Do you yet not understand the difference between kill and murder?

Alpha
Moderators
Moderators

Postby Alpha » Thu Dec 04, 2003 03:15 pm

Strike 1 has been given to this topic. Let's please get back to the original topic please- And yes ma Lady, Jesus did teach for us to be sitting ducks :lol: But this is not foolish indeed, seeing as the "foolish" person will inherit eternal life, and the muderer will see the grace of God in the person who turned the other cheek and can be saved as a result if he repents. But if this is to be discussed further, please start another topic about it. P.S., the reason I continued the discussion in this topic and did not start another one was because I can do that! :P

Return to “Archived”