Matthew seriously misquoted the OT

Archived and locked <i>Read Only</i>
oneGOD
Preacher
Preacher

Matthew seriously misquoted the OT

Postby oneGOD » Thu Nov 13, 2003 03:49 pm

(1) The prophecy given in Is.7:14 referred not to a virgin but to a young woman, living at the time of the prophecy and also the correct translation is :

ISIAIH 7:"14 Therefore the Lord Himself giveth to you a sign, Lo, the young woman is conceiving, And is bringing forth a son, And hath called his name Immanuel"

I have already discussed this:
http://www.jesus-christ-forums.com/home/viewtopic.php?t=2779

(2) Matthew claims that Jesus' birth in Bethlehem fulfils the prophecy in Micah 5:2. But this is unlikely for two reasons
a) "Bethlehem Ephratah" in Micah 5:2 refers not to a town, but to a clan: the clan of Bethlehem, who was the son of Caleb's second wife, Ephrathah. Check Chr.2:18, 2:50-52, 4:4

b) The prophecy (if that is what it is) does not refer to the Messiah, but rather to a military leader, as can be seen from Micah 5:6. This leader is supposed to defeat the Assyrians, which, of course, Jesus never did.
It should also be noted that Matthew altered the text of Micah 5:2 by saying: "And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda" rather than "Bethlehem Ephratah" as is said in Micah 5:2. He did this, intentionally no doubt, to make the verse appear to refer to the town of Bethlehem rather than the family clan.

Micah 5:2 :"But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting."

Micah 5:6 :"And they shall waste the land of Assyria with the sword...."

(3) "Out of Egypt I have called my son,"
Matthew claims that the flight of Jesus' family to Egypt is a fulfilment of Hosea 11:1. But Hosea 11:1 is not a prophecy at all, as is clear when the entire verse is quoted ("When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt."). It is a reference to the Hebrew exodus from Egypt and has nothing to do with Jesus. Matthew tries to hide this fact by quoting only the last part of the verse.

Hosea 11:1 :" When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.2:As they called them, so they went from them: they sacrificed unto Baalim, and burned incense to graven images"

(4) Matthew quotes Jeremiah 31:15, claiming that it was a prophecy of King Herod's alleged slaughter of the children in and around Bethlehem after the birth of Jesus. But this verse refers to the Babylonian captivity, as is clear by reading the next two verses (16 and 17), and, thus, has nothing to do with Herod's massacre.

Jeremiah 31:15 "Thus saith the LORD; A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation, and bitter weeping; Rahel weeping for her children refused to be comforted for her children, because they were not.
16:Thus saith the LORD; Refrain thy voice from weeping, and thine eyes from tears: for thy work shall be rewarded, saith the LORD; and they shall come again from the land of the enemy.17: And there is hope in thine end, saith the LORD, that thy children shall come again to their own border."

(5) "He shall be called a Nazarene." Matthew claims this was a fulfillment of prophecy, yet such a prophecy is not found anywhere in the Old Testament.

(6) Matthew 21:4"All this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying,5:Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of an ass."

This verse claims that Jesus fulfils the prophecy in Zechariah 9:9. But this cannot be since the person referred to in Zechariah was both a military leader and the king of an earthly kingdom. Read 10-13 to find out yourself.

Zechariah 9:9"Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.
And I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem, and the battle bow shall be cut off: and he shall speak peace unto the heathen: and his dominion shall be from sea even to sea, and from the river even to the ends of the earth.
As for thee also, by the blood of thy covenant I have sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit wherein is no water.
Turn you to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope: even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee;
When I have bent Judah for me, filled the bow with Ephraim, and raised up thy sons, O Zion, against thy sons, O Greece, and made thee as the sword of a mighty man."

It is also to be noted that other Gospels don't agree on what Jesus really rode on. Luke tell a different story by the way and Mark I think also 8)

(7) Jesus falsely prophesies that the high priest would see his second coming.

Matthew 26:64 "Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven."

( 8 ) Matthew 27:9 "Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value"

This is not a quote from Jeremiah, but a misquote of Zechariah (11:12-13).

Zech.11"12:So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prized at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD"

Matthew attributes this quote to Jeremiah, but Jeremiah has no verse that is even similar to the words given in Matthew. Matthew confused Jeremiah with Zechariah.

On a final remark I would like to add this :

Jeremiah 22:28-30"Thus saith the Lord, write this man [Jeconiah] childless .... No man of his seed shall prosper, sitting upon the throne of David, and ruling any more in Judah."

By the way Jeconiah is one of Jesus's anscestors according to Matthew.

Also you can see here :

Jeremiah 36:30 "Therefore thus says the Lord concerning Jehoiakim king of Judah, he shall have none to sit on the throne of David. "

Which means he shall have no sons.

But we find this also:

Kings II 24:6 "So Jehoiakim slept with his fathers and Jehoiachin his son reigned in his stead."

oneGOD
Preacher
Preacher

Postby oneGOD » Thu Nov 13, 2003 04:26 pm

xb

Believer
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Believer » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:58 am

Peace OneGOD,

You fail to understand the prophecies.
They are esoteric messages that cannot be analyzed like what you are trying to do.
Your not even Christian, so your not going to really understand them.

12 Now David was the son of an Ephrathite named Jesse, who was from Bethlehem in Judah. Jesse had eight sons, and in Saul's time he was old and well advanced in years. 13 Jesse's three oldest sons had followed Saul to the war: The firstborn was Eliab; the second, Abinadab; and the third, Shammah. 14 David was the youngest. The three oldest followed Saul, 15 but David went back and forth from Saul to tend his father's sheep at Bethlehem. -I Samuel 17:12-15]

Jesus is from the line of Jesse, the Ephrathite from Bethlehem.
Oh! Hey! Bethlehem is a city!
Jesus was born in Bethelehem, the city where David was born.
It was called Bethlehem Ephratatha to distinquish it from other Bethlehems. It was the city where David was born.

Jeremiah 31:15 "Thus saith the LORD; A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation, and bitter weeping; Rahel weeping for her children refused to be comforted for her children, because they were not.

There was a massacre of infantsin Bethlehem.
That is compatable with this verse.

The verse from Zecharaih is VERY MUCH about Jesus.

9:9"Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.

Jesus rode into Zion[Jeruslamem] lowly, riding on a colt.

And I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem, and the battle bow shall be cut off: and he shall speak peace unto the heathen: and his dominion shall be from sea even to sea, and from the river even to the ends of the earth.

Jesus ended the covenant with Israel.
He spoke peace to the unbelievers.
He dominion will be the whole earth, this is the Second Coming.

As for thee also, by the blood of thy covenant I have sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit wherein is no water.

After Jesus spilt the blood of the covenant [the Crucifiction] he died and went down to Sheol and freed those who were stuck down there.
Before Jesus came, many of the Jews died and were stuck in Sheol, which is like a purgatory.

Turn you to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope: even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee;

Jesus always tells us to be strong and steadfast until He returns to judge the world and give us our reward.

When I have bent Judah for me, filled the bow with Ephraim, and raised up thy sons, O Zion, against thy sons, O Greece, and made thee as the sword of a mighty man."

I don't know what this means.
Could be a prediction of the Jewish Wars.

Hey, you didn't analyzed this verse.

[color=blue]Zech.11"12:So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prized at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD" [/color=blue]

How can you explain this?
30 pieces of silver priced a God's head casted ino the temple treasury.

Hmmm. sounds familiar. :D
In times past, God spoke in partial and various ways to our ancestors through the prophets;
in these last days, he spoke to us through a son, whom he made heir of all things and through whom he created the universe,
-Hebrews 1:1-2

oneGOD
Preacher
Preacher

Postby oneGOD » Fri Nov 14, 2003 01:06 am

Man, seriously did you even read the whole post. I don't think so.

Believer
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Believer » Fri Nov 14, 2003 01:20 am

Acually, I just refuted your bogus post.
Look! The Prophecies are true!
You deny reality by not looking at the prophecies with an open heart.

Analyze this:

Zech.11"12:So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prized at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD"

30 pieces of silver priced a God's head casted ino the temple treasury.
HELLO!!! THIS IS A MAJOR JESUS CHRIST PROPHECY!!
In times past, God spoke in partial and various ways to our ancestors through the prophets;

in these last days, he spoke to us through a son, whom he made heir of all things and through whom he created the universe,

oneGOD
Preacher
Preacher

Postby oneGOD » Fri Nov 14, 2003 03:19 am

Heh, that's not what I intended. Matthew misquoted that as I said. I would suggest that before you respond you should read the post and see what it is about.

Bushmaster
Moderators
Moderators

Postby Bushmaster » Fri Nov 14, 2003 03:58 am

oneGOD wrote:Heh, that's not what I intended.

Of course you will say that, my dear friend. Since you can't address the points made to you, that's all you have left.
"Maiorem hac dilectionem nemo habet ut animam suam quis ponat pro amicis suis " Evangelium secundum Iohannem 15:13

U.S. ARMY
AH-64D "Armt Dawg"

oneGOD
Preacher
Preacher

Postby oneGOD » Fri Nov 14, 2003 05:10 am

Actually he made no point since he didn't read the post in the first place.The intentions is about Matthew misquoting Jer and Zach.

Believer
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Believer » Fri Nov 14, 2003 05:31 am

Actually your intentions were to disprove these prophecies, and I refuted your claims.
Now I expect a detailed comment from you on Zecharaiah 11:12.
--Or don't bother responding!

oneGOD
Preacher
Preacher

Postby oneGOD » Fri Nov 14, 2003 07:48 am

You know what Believer, I challenge you to go over every line I wrote and show me I'm wrong. You didn't answer all and you didn't even answer them right.

About Zech, Even if Jesus was betrayed which I believe is true doesn't prove that he was crucified. Again, Matthew MISQUOTED. How?

Matthew 27:9 "Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value.

This is not a quote from Jeremiah, but a misquote of Zechariah (11:12-13).

Believer
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Believer » Fri Nov 14, 2003 04:11 pm

He was just a tax collector!
I say he did a good job with all 25+ prophecies he quoted from the OT.
The real argument should lay on the prophecies themselves, but it seems you won't do this because you can't.

Bushmaster
Moderators
Moderators

Postby Bushmaster » Fri Nov 14, 2003 05:25 pm

Believer, obviously he doesn't have the necessary forum skills, no wonder Mods are talking about banning him (a second time?!?!) All he wants is a pissing contest and I refuse to respond to these weak claims he produces in his own mind from his piss-poor understanding of the Bible. He expects a Bible written in koranic format. But that ain't the case. So give it a rest...

Remember...

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.
Proverbs 26:4-5
"Maiorem hac dilectionem nemo habet ut animam suam quis ponat pro amicis suis " Evangelium secundum Iohannem 15:13

U.S. ARMY

AH-64D "Armt Dawg"

oneGOD
Preacher
Preacher

Postby oneGOD » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:45 pm

He was just a tax collector!
I say he did a good job with all 25+ prophecies he quoted from the OT.

He did a good job or a perfect job? You say he was an inspired man yet he take everything out of context.

The real argument should lay on the prophecies themselves, but it seems you won't do this because you can't.

I believe I did argue about that. Read my post again.

All he wants is a pissing contest

Not really I have learned alot from Alpha and webmaster.

I refuse to respond to these weak claims he produces in his own mind from his piss-poor understanding of the Bible

You refuse because you can't. Prove to me you understand the bible and answer them then.

He expects a Bible written in koranic format

I don't because it can't

I'm not here to piss no one off. I'm here to learn and whatever I have learned I want to share.

Laters

Believer
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Believer » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Is this what your limited too now, OneGOD?
These weak one-sentence answers?

Bushmaster,

Believer, obviously he doesn't have the necessary forum skills, no wonder Mods are talking about banning him (a second time?!?!) All he wants is a pissing contest and I refuse to respond to these weak claims he produces in his own mind from his piss-poor understanding of the Bible. He expects a Bible written in koranic format. But that ain't the case. So give it a rest...

I was expelled from two Islamic forums already, and I have seen his kind many times. These never-were-a-Christian Christians convert to Islam and claim to have "truth"
They reject what they never understood, and accept only what they can comprehend.
I prove them wrong, and they expell me from their sites!
We have nothing to fear from them, so banning him won't make a difference.
We can keep proving him wrong and people reading these threads will furthee realize how false and empty Islam is when compared to Christianity.

Bushmaster
Moderators
Moderators

Postby Bushmaster » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:07 am

My dear bro Believer,

Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces. Matthew 7:6

U.S. ARMY

AH-64D "Armt Dawg"

oneGOD
Preacher
Preacher

Postby oneGOD » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:12 am

Just wondering, and if you don't mind of course, how old are you believer? I'm 26

Believer
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Believer » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:58 am

I'm about your age.
I think most of us here are under 30.

TruthSeeker1
Assitant Deacon
Assitant Deacon

Postby TruthSeeker1 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:28 am

Peace Believer!

You cannot ignore the fact that Matthew quoted Jeremiah but it was infact Zechariah who said that.

How could writer make such an error wasnt he inspired by the Holy Spirit?

Peace

Alpha
Moderators
Moderators

Postby Alpha » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:58 pm

TruthSeeker1 wrote:Peace Believer!

You cannot ignore the fact that Matthew quoted Jeremiah but it was infact Zechariah who said that.

How could writer make such an error wasnt he inspired by the Holy Spirit?

Peace

You can find reasonable answers to these alleged "contradictions" if you look.

An NIV Study Bible says:

The quotation that follows seems to be a combination of Zec 11:12-13 and Jer 19:1-13 (or perhaps Jer 18:2-12 or Jer 32:6-9). But Matthew attributes it to the major prophet Jeremiah, just as Mark (1:2-3) quotes Mal 3:1 and Isa 40:3 but attributes them to the major prophet Isaiah.

Also,
... it was customary to allude to an entire section of the Bible by the name of the first book in that section. It may be that in Matthew's day Jeremiah was the first of the prophetic books.

Whatever the answer is, that is no reason to say Christianity is a false religion, and it is certainly no reason to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. If you make such a claim, you are basing it on your lack of knowledge on the matter. Are you going to tell me you know all the answers? Just like you, I can post contradictions all willynilly from the Qu'ran and other religious books.

Believer
Preacher
Preacher

Postby Believer » Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:34 am

Truthseeker,

What is important is wthat the prophecy was fulfilled.
Look at the 25 other prophecies quoted from Matthew.
I'd say the TAXCOLLECTOR did a fine job.

oneGOD
Preacher
Preacher

Postby oneGOD » Mon Nov 17, 2003 09:47 am

I'd say the TAXCOLLECTOR did a fine job.

Ya but not a perfect job inspired by God I believe.

You still haven't answered all of the points.
Also, you ignored that he made a mistake and misquoted.

I say: read it again and see how he took everything out of context.

Alpha
Moderators
Moderators

Postby Alpha » Sat Jan 24, 2004 01:27 pm

This is one of the best answers to this topic:

(1) Zechariah 11:10-13 contains no reference either to a "field" or its purchase. In fact, the word "field" (shadah) occurs only in chapter 10, verse 1, which in no way relates to our subject at all.

(2) Regarding the "thirty pieces of silver," the passage in Zechariah speaks of them with approval, while in Matthew they are not so spoken of. "A goodly price" (`eder hayekar) signifies "sufficiency," and the verb yakar carries the meaning of being "precious." The text does not indicate that the amount was paltry or that the offer of it was in any sense an insult. However, this latter sense is conveyed in Matthew 27:9-10.

(3) The givers were "the poor of the flock," and this enhanced its value, very much as in the case described in Mark 12:43-44.

(4) The waiting of "the poor of the flock" was not characterized by hostility but friendliness. The Hebrew word shamar occurs more than 450 times in the Old Testament, of which only about 14 express hostility.

(5) Concerning the disposal of the silver, the sense of the verb cast must be determined by the context in which it is used, not by the verb itself. In Zechariah 11, the context shows it to be in a good sense, as in Exodus 15:25, 1 Kings 19:19, 2 Kings 2:21, and others.

(6) The "potter" is a fashioner; his work was not necessarily confined to fashioning "clay," but his work extended also to metals. For confirmation of this, compare Genesis 2:7-8; Psalm 33:15; Isaiah 43:1, 6, 10, 21; and others. The verb yazar occurs in the Old Testament about 62 times, and in about 45 of these it has nothing whatever to do with a "potter." Moreover, a "potter" in connection with the temple or its service is unknown in fact or to Scripture. Furthermore, silver would be useless to a potter, but necessary to a fashioner of metallic things or for payment to such artisans. One might as well cast clay to a silversmith as silver to a potter.

(7) The Septuagint, and also its revision by Symmachus, reads in verse 13, "cast them, i.e., the 30 pieces of silver) into the furnace" (Greek: eis to choneuterion). This shows that before the Gospel of Matthew was written, yotzer was interpreted as referring not to a "potter" but to a fashioner of metals.

[8] Note that the persons mentioned in the two passages are different. In Matthew we have "they took," "they gave," "the price of him"; in Zechariah one reads "I took," "I cast," "I was valued." In addition, Matthew names three parties as being concerned in the transaction; Zechariah speaks of only one.

(9) In Matthew the money was given "for the field"; in Zechariah it was cast "unto the fashioner."

(10) Matthew not only quotes Jeremiah's spoken words but names him as the speaker. This is parallel to Matthew 2:17-18, where the figure of speech known as "metonymy of cause" is employed, referring to a prophecy of Jeremiah that was spoken as well as written.

On the basis of all the foregoing, I suggest that the passage in Matthew 27:9-10 cannot have any reference to Zechariah 11:10-13. But the following considerations must also be kept in mind:

(1) It is not inconceivable that Matthew quoted Jeremiah's spoken words (of which he had knowledge either from some historical source or by direct revelation from the Holy Spirit through the process referred to as "inspiration" in 2 Timothy 3:16) and interjected other words by way of parenthetical explanation. These are not to be confused with the quoted words. They may be considered to have been combined thus:

Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying: `And they took the thirty pieces of silver [the price of him who was priced, whom they of the sons of Israel did price], and they gave them for the potter's field, as the Lord appointed me.'"

Thus Matthew quotes that which was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, and combines with the actual quotation a parenthetical reference to the price at which the prophet Zechariah had been priced.

(2) Had the sum of money been twenty pieces of silver instead of thirty, a similar remark might have been interjected thus:

Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying: "And they took the twenty pieces of silver [the price of him whom his brethren sold into Egypt], and they gave them for the potter's field," etc.

(3) Or had the reference been to the compensation for an injury done to another man's servant, as in Exodus 21:32, a similar parenthetical remark might have been introduced thus:

Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying: "And they took the thirty pieces of silver [the price given in Israel to the master whose servant had been injured by an ox], and they gave them for the potter's field," etc.

From: http://www.infidels.org/library/magazin ... ffi96.html

Vision
New Convert
New Convert

Re: Matthew seriously misquoted the OT

Postby Vision » Sat Jan 24, 2004 02:41 pm

oneGOD wrote:"Bethlehem Ephratah" in Micah 5:2 refers not to a town, but to a clan: the clan of Bethlehem, who was the son of Caleb's second wife, Ephrathah

If it was refering to a clan it would had said Ephrathites

Both Bethlehem and Ephratah were towns in Juda in close proximity.

Ruth 4:11 - .... and may you achieve wealth in Ephratah and become famous in Bethlehem.

Genesis 35:16 Then they journeyed from Bethel; and when there was still some distance to go to Ephratah

Genesis 48:7 "… when there was still some distance to go to Ephratah; and I buried her there on the way to Ephratah."

Psalms 132:6 - Behold, we heard of it in Ephratah, We found it in the field of Jaar.
Christian

Return to “Archived”